Letting your property

What makes Smeaton Homes the right choice for landlords?

  • All your needs covered

    There’s a lot to think about when renting out a property to tenants. But our experienced lettings team are here to help you make a success of it. From marketing your rental to providing a flexible menu of landlord services, to full property management, we can do it all.

  • Home letting without the hassle

    Our lettings specialists are skilled in developing good relationships between landlords and tenants. Through open communication, and the excellent My Property File platform, we sort out issues quickly and efficiently – keeping all parties in the loop, and everyone satisfied.

  • Straightforward, affordable pricing

    You might need the Smeaton Homes team to secure the ideal tenants for your let, offer longer-term landlord support, or provide one-off cover while you’re away. Whatever the task, you can rest assured that with us, you’ll get brilliant value and clear pricing, with no hidden extras.

Our guides

Useful information whether you’re a landlord or thinking about letting a propety

Frequently asked questions

  • What is included in my set-up fee?

    This will depend on what management service you are looking for. Please take a look at our fee sheet for more information

  • As a landlord, do I need to tell my mortgage lender, and what insurances do I need?

    Yes, you will need to get permission from your mortgage lender before you can rent out your property and there may be some special conditions given. You will need landlord insurance for the property and we recommend all landlords have rent guarantee insurance to protect yourself against loss of rent.

  • Will I need to pay tax on rental income as a landlord?

    Landlords can be liable to pay tax on their rental income irrespective of whether they live overseas or in the UK. More information can be found on HMRC’s website.

  • Can I charge more if a tenant has a pet?

    Since the tenant fee ban came into force in 2019, landlords and agents are no longer able to charge more than 5 weeks’ worth of rent for a deposit. If you are going to allow tenants to have a pet, you can charge

    a higher rent but we feel this must be a fair and reasonable amount.

  • What certificates does my property need?

    A Gas Safety Record (GSR) is needed when there is a gas supply in a property. All gas appliances, pipes and flues will be checked. These need to be completed every 12 months.

    An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) needs to be competed every 5 years. You will also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before marketing for let or for sale, and this lasts for 5 years. The energy rating must be a minimum E rating in order to rent it.

    Portable appliance testing (PAT) must be carried out on each portable appliance.

  • Why should I use a managing agent and how do I know which one to choose?

    Choosing to have a managing agent allows you to relax and enjoy the benefits of your investment. It will also create a professional distance between you and the tenancy and means you will avoid dealing with the bad parts, such as rent arrears and deposit disputes. You should choose the agent you feel most comfortable with. They should have good local knowledge and experience is important. Ask for recommendations and check recent reviews on Google and Facebook.

  • How often can my agent increase my rent?

    Your rent increases will depend on your contract, but they are usually made every 12 months through a Section 13 notice.

  • Can I enter my property during the tenancy?

    You will need to give the tenant appropriate notice before you enter the property, and they will need to give consent.

  • Why should I have an inventory?

    An inventory is a very detailed list of contents and a guide to the condition of a property. We highly recommend that each tenancy starts with an inventory as it is essential if you are looking to make any claims from the deposit at the end of the tenancy. You may feel that you do not need one if the property is unfurnished but it also includes features which are integral to the property, such as doors, walls, floors, windows, kitchen units, bathroom sanitaryware and gardens.

  • What happens to my tenant’s deposit?

    Landlords and letting agents are required to register tenants’ deposits with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Here at Smeaton Homes, we use the Deposit Protection Service (DPS).

  • How do I check that my furniture is compliant?

    All furniture that is left in a rental property must comply with furniture and furnishings regulations. All compliant furniture must have standard labels in a prominent position. This is to reduce the risk of fire within the property.

  • What references do I need to do on my tenants?

    As an agent, we always complete credit checks, income references and previous landlord references on every applicant over the age of 18. We also complete income and credit checks on guarantors if applicable. If you are planning on having rent guarantee insurance, your tenants must pass referencing or have a guarantor that passes referencing. A Right to Rent check also needs to be completed on tenants. This is a scheme which helps to make sure that tenants have the legal right to be here – these checks came into force in February 2016.